Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Good news... and a little confusion!

Thanks for all the well-wishes and tips! :) I really think someone must have just been praying for me though, because I did nothing different, and last night I got a great night's sleep! What a difference! I think I'm finally back on the upswing!

But just for my sanity-sake, what is everyone's understanding on medicines you can/can't take during the first trimester? I'm a little frustrated because my doctor/midwife's website gives an extensive list, but it says all of those listed are safe beginning in the SECOND trimester.. and yet when I called and talked to the nurse & she confirmed with one of the doctors, they said it was fine even though I'm only 9 weeks. (Stuff like Tylenol, Robitussin, Sudafed...) I'm a little bugged that they say one thing on the phone and another on their website. I know there can be lots of different opinions... but it would be nice to hear just one from my doctor! So what have all of you mommies been told?

Fortunately I think my current cold/cough is on its way out and I never took anything, but it would be nice to know what is really okay. :) I feel like most people affirmed the thought that you shouldn't take any drugs during the first trimester.

2 comments:

Elsie Hall said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. In the past I was told Sudafed, but then I found out that that's only after 2nd trimester. So pretty much nothing except for what you've been doing. Tea with honey and lemon is my favorite for a sore throat...The humidifier. Just natural remedies. Tylenol is o.k., but that's about it. I even heard someone say yesterday that cough drops are bad--oops...used those regularly with Aiden! LOL...I'm glad you're feeling better though. Only another month to go and you'll be to the point where you can use some drugs.

Childress Family said...

I don't know if any of them told you that drugs for pregos are classified as B, C, D or X (meaning never!). There's no A drug, as no one wants to say if anything is 100% safe for a pregnant woman and fetus. They do all tend to say don't take anything in the first trimester (good job toughing it out!!), but I took a lot of Tylenol because I got killer headaches with both pregnancies. I guess you have to measure the risk/benefit spectrum. If I can't survive and take care of my family, I need some Tylenol to just get through, take the edge off, and trust the Lord to take care of the rest. For future medicine questions, ask them how a certain drug is "classed" and that can help you decide if the benefits outweigh the potential risks. Hope that helps! Oh, and be careful about herbs. You can look up which ones are ok and which ones aren't. Hope this helps!