Getting up early enough in the mornings to get ready for work, fix lunches, eat breakfast, take Shelby out several times, play with her, feed her AND spend time in God's Word has been... well, a challenge. Mike and I have really wanted to start everyday in the Word together, but sometimes we're just so sleepy. Well, this weekend, we decided...no excuses, we're setting the alarm for 6:20 and we're getting up. And we have been praying that God would help us to keep this committment...
Well... 3 days in a row, Shelby has woken us up between 6:00 and 6:15 to go out. We're laying there wishing we could get those last 10 minutes of sleep, but she's insistent. I guess this is God's way of helping (more like, making) us get up on time! As much as I want to just roll over and go back to sleep, I have to smile because that annoying little whine 15 minutes too early, is really an answer to prayer! :)
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
So what's it like to be a mom?
- Being woken up around 6:00 for potty-duty?
- Needing to get up even earlier for work so you can play and feed and take the little one to the potty a few times?
- Spending your lunch break playing and caring for her instead of taking that nap you are so desperate for?
- Choosing to stay home at night to give the little one some lovin'?
- Calling a sitter if you do need to go out after work?
- Waking up every hour in the middle of the night to crying?
- Cleaning up pee & poo in the middle of the night?
- Taking a day "off work" to take the little one to see the doc because she's sick?
- Spending $90 on Dr. bills and medicine instead of something more fun?
- Being proud of how great she did while sick and waiting 2 1/2 hours at the doc's office?
- Laughing your head off at something cute she does?
- Smiling as you are seeing the reward of all your potty-training pay off?
I guess I'm a mom. Thanks Shelby.
Posted by Melissa at 3:50 PM
Something I love about being a child of God is that when things in your life seem to be going crazy and out of control, it can still be the sweetest time of your life! We've had some pretty challenging realities lately, and apart from faith in God who promises us life and blessing and provision, we could easily just freak out. But He is leading us into greater faith, and He always... Always... ALWAYS shows up. He is forever good.
Posted by Melissa at 3:16 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
well, so far we have been puppy-parents for 5 days. she is the cutest thing ever. she is also a LOT of work. we've actually been very very happy about how quickly she's getting potty trained, and she seems to even know her name and she definitely knows us already! i don't know if we were prepared for the sleepless nights though! getting up every hour or 2 to take her outside definitely takes a toll on you! but last night we only got up once! yay!!! it IS getting better.
we have decided that in some ways puppies make life even more complicated than babies do. lots of things are the same... except that when you want to go somewhere, if you had a baby, you'd just take her with you. But when you have a puppy - you have to either find a dog-sitter or not go, because you've already had her crated all day while you were at work...and most places aren't exactly dog-friendly. But that's okay... we're learning and we have lots of willing sitters already!
we have both thought, "whew! we're glad we don't have kids yet!" It's tough to go to work and be 100% there when you only got a couple hours sleep every night for the last 4 days... but I've decided it's work... not the babies... that will make life so challenging! Hopefully when that time comes... God will provide a way for me to stay at home...But for now... I better get back to work!
Posted by Melissa at 8:52 AM